Sunday, March 1, 2009

The night time...the right time

The night time.

One of the greatest loves of my life has been the night time. Even as a child I remember loving to be awake late...well past when normal children were asleep. For me there has always been a bit of solace in the night time. I love the alone time the night gives. To be the only one awake...awake and thinking or doing whatever you are doing whilst the world is off in slumberland.

I recently started working the night shift...I work from 7pm to 7am. It is hard on the ole body, but I love it. I feel more alive when I work nights. Waking up in the morning is no small feat for me. Never has been an easy thing. I always feel like I am in this ridiculous fog for hours on end when I wake early in the morning. But I can sleep for only 5 hours during the day and feel like I can take on the world and win!

What is it about the night time that is so great? Well I love the way it feels. There is just something in the atmosphere in the middle of the night. You know that feeling of the night in the summer? Where you never want to sleep...you're tired but you don't feel it, for the night feels more restorative than sleep would? Well that is how the night time feels to me. I feel so often that sleep is overrated...and my time is better spent doing laundry at 2am.

I wonder what my neighbors think of hearing the washer at 2am...or when I randomly bake cookies and pies in the wee hours of the morning... It makes it all the more fun...EVERYTHING is better at 2am. It is just a shame there aren't more 24 hour establishments...

It is interesting how people are so incredibly different...one wakes at 5am everyday and sings with the birds, and another goes to sleep at 8am and tinkers with things all night long...

People are a curious invention no doubt...

No comments:

PING!!